Monday, June 28, 2010

Fancy Food Show Product Reviews for Meatless Monday

Hey food lovers! I'm still in New York City, so tonight (for Meatless Monday), Melyssa will talk about her favorite vegetarian and vegan offerings from the 2010 Fancy Food Show.

I tried two types (Spinach Feta and Portobella Parmigiano) of these pre-filled and pre-rolled savory crepes and both were delicious! The texture of the crepe itself was fluffier than many I've gotten in restaurants.

I've never had anything like this before, but this frittata (which reminded me a bit of polenta) would make a great side or main course topped with marinara, parmigiana, and olive oil. Because its made of chickpea, its high in protein and fiber and low in fat. Plus it's vegan and gluten-free!

This was nicely spiced and much more flavorful than most prepared Indian dishes I've tried. The chickpeas were whole and perfectly - not mushy or broken like I've found with some other brands (I'm talking about you, Trader Joes!)

While there are 11 different chips to choose from, my favorite were the pumpkin and okra - two veggies I didn't even know were available in chip form.

Sure, many people may use this on chicken, but I personally can't wait to try it on fried seitan strips! Hot and garlicy but not overpowering. A touch of Parmesan adds a perfect tangy finish.

It's near impossible to find gummies that aren't made with gelatin - let alone decent ones - but these are the best I've found so far! With no animal products, artificial colors, or high fructose corn syrup, they're much healthier than your average fruit snack, and though the "gumminess" is just slightly different from that of conventional versions, the flavor itself is fantastic - plus the Superfruit gummies are boosted with beneficial Acai berries.

I've seen drinks like this before, but until today I'd only ever used aloe on skin burns. This juice was surprisingly delicious and so refreshing. Plus it's all-natural and contains no high fructose corn syrup so it's not too sweet. I was worried the aloe gel would be lumpy or feel strange to drink, but it went down easy and I kept re-filling my cup with more.

In addition to the aloe juice, this was the one of the tastiest drinks I tried. The unsweetened version isn't too strong and has a subtle citrus finish, while the watermelon mint is the perfect cooling summer beverage. Once I find out where to buy these, I'll never touch Snapple again!

Stay tuned for many more of our favorites from the show, including the tastiest sauces, dips, marinades, cheeses, and ready-to-eat meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment