Friday, July 9, 2010

NASFT Summer Fancy Food Show Review


Last week I attended the 56th Summer Fancy Food show at the Jacob Javitts Center in New York City. "The three-day event is the largest marketplace for specialty food in North America" with over 2,400 American and International exhibitors representing over 80 countries. Basically, I tasted my way into oblivion.
Executive Chef Dan Barber of Blue Hill restaurant delivered the keynote address, focusing his speech on the importance of "connecting consumers with the story behind their food." "Pleasure is affected by more than the food's taste," said Barber, "when you connect people to where their food comes from, it tastes better." I say amen to that!

Three cheers for this news - the most common words seen on products at this Fancy Food Show were "organic" "vegan" "fair-trade" "anti-oxidant" and "gluten-free."

The SOFI (speciality outstanding food innovation) awards honor excellence in specialty foods. Some of the SOFI Gold winners which were also my personal favorites included:


 (A great product I always keep in my refrigerator)

















(The ricotta is great with some truffle honey. Pictured below is their Mozzarella)

(This is one of my favorite goat cheeses ever. I also love their Truffle Tremor)










 






(I've mentioned Tate's in previous entries as the best packaged cookie I've found)



and last but not least, my friends at  
(low-carb, gluten-free, and delicious)

I also really enjoyed products from the following companies:

-Stonewall Kitchen - Delicious and all-natural products with lovely packaging. They also feature a line of products by Ina Garten (The Barefoot Contessa).










 


-The French Farm - Imported gourmet condiments from Europe. All natural and beautifully presented mustards, nut oils, jams, honeys, and assorted sauces.

-Bella Cucina - Gourmet Italian pestos, pastas, oils, spreads, desserts, and more.













-Robert Rothschild - Assorted dips, jams, sauces, and other condiments. Please note that not all of their products are all natural, so check the labels.

-King's Cupboard - Specialty desserts and sweet condiments. Their organic hot fudge and caramel sauces are to die for!













Some more sights from the show:






























No comments:

Post a Comment