Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Day at the Beach

Yesterday the weather was beautiful in the tri-state area so I played hooky and drove to my favorite beach in Spring Lake, NJ (a little over an hour from my house). Even though it's only 25 minutes from where they shoot the MTV show "Jersey Shore," it's worlds away in terms of class and culture - you probably won't find Snooki here! Spring Lake is a picturesque, upscale, seaside town on the coast of New Jersey full of manicured lawns, gardens, pretty houses, bed and breakfasts, and even a lake (albeit man-made) in a small park near the center of town. The main street, Third Avenue, is dotted with quaint shops, boutiques, and restaurants. 

Unlike many other Jersey beaches, Spring Lake is cleaner and quieter, attracting more families and fewer boisterous teenagers. The long boardwalk (which lacks rides or a carnival-like atmosphere) starts in the beautiful neighboring town of Sea Girt and is perfect for fitness buffs or those seeking a more peaceful stroll.




































I grabbed a take out lunch at one of my favorite delis, Tom Bailey's Market (303 Washington Ave, Spring Lake, NJ). Here you can enjoy huge, fresh sandwiches, some hot entrees, salads, cheeses, and a few gourmet items such as products from Stonewall Kitchen and Barefoot Contessa. This is also where I first found the best packaged chocolate chip cookies I've ever had from Tate's Bake Shop (headquarted in The Hamptons, where I will visit later this summer!)

I ordered a delicious sandwich with turkey, corned beef, Swiss, coleslaw, and Russian dressing (they call this a Sloppy Joe, though theirs has ham instead of corned beef). The market also features a selection of vegetarian sandwiches and entree selections. 

















I ate outside in their newly-expanded patio area which you can see here: 
















A new addition to the market - Tom Bailey's Grille (opening soon) - will featuring a more extensive dinner menu and table service. BYOB, but there is a wine shop across the street.

I also stopped in at Third Avenue Chocolate Shoppe (1118 Third Ave, Spring Lake, NJ) where candy maker Matt Magyar offers up delicious home made treats. I ate a few milk and dark chocolate caramel and rice crispy turtles (sorry no pictures, they didn't last long enough!). Magyar is a low-tech guy who doesn't even have a cell phone, let alone an official web site. The good news is, you can order treats for home delivery by calling (732) 449-7535.

















1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a nice outing. I love the Sloppy Joe, my kind of sandwich. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete